Eight areas have been selected as the focal points of AIT’s research activity:
- Autonomic and Grid Computing aims at pervasive, human-centered, high-performance computing through a combination of user, network and systems technologies like Multimodal Technologies and Perceptual Interfaces, Autonomic Middleware for Perceptual Systems, Cognitive Systems and Grid Computing.
- High Speed Networks and Optical Communications, having as main research dimensions All Optical Network Technologies, IP/Optical and Wireless/Optical Convergence, Storage Networks, Network Control and Management, QoS, Network Services and Applications (Content Distribution, VoIP, VoD…).
- Broadband Wireless and Sensor Networks, focusing on 4G Communications, Sensor Networks, Broadband Radio Interfaces, Wireless Multimedia Communications, Smart Antennas, has as its mission to support and further enhance the “Optimally Connected Anywhere, Anytime” global vision through the study, development, analysis and definition of new scenarios of wireless systems and networks, ranging from devices to network architectures and encompassing novel applications.
- Software Systems having as its main objective the study of properties of software systems at all levels of abstraction, from the operating systems to middleware and to web services, and the use of established methodologies for the systematic development of software systems in carefully identified application areas, including applications for mobile devices, middleware services, development environments, data processing applications, machine learning applications, etc
- Algorithms and Security, performing research on Combinatorial Optimization and Heuristics, Algorithms for Sensor Networks, Cryptography and Computer and Network Security. The primary objective is to bring together expertise in education, research and practice in the field of information security and algorithms. Research is conducted in areas spanning from the theoretical foundations of cryptography to the design and implementation of leading edge efficient and secure communication protocols.
- Multimedia, Knowledge and WEB Technologies has as mission to master education, research and development activities that build upon and innovate through the synergy of Web/Semantic Web/Web 2.0 Technologies and Knowledge Engineering Practices with Multimedia Technologies. Its aim is to introduce the next generation intelligent, self-aware/self-adaptable rich media interactive Web applications and services deployed and validated in a number of application contexts: e-learning and edutainment, gaming, iTV/Web TV/IPTV, Multimedia Digital Libraries and Search Engines, Social media applications, e-commerce / e-business, etc.
- Network Design and Services aims at significantly contributing in the design and delivery of the next generation converged network and service infrastructure supporting a wide variety of applications, in the context of which optical networks and network services play a key role. Main topics of focus include transparency, sustainable scaling, dependability and cost/resource efficiency taking into consideration the increasing heterogeneity in technologies and devices.
- Innovation Management Laboratory is designed to provide support, advice and guidance to the business research community while facilitating interaction between academics and research sponsors, but also the greater local and regional business communities. Functions as a connecting link between industrial companies, institutions, educational organizations and individuals concerned with conceptual questions pertaining to organization and processing of innovation knowledge.
"The “Meet Your Future” program helped me learn about what I have to face in the market and to make the right decisions for my professional future. We also had the chance to learn about the technology of the future."
Nikolaos Messados, Junior summer school, (Greece)
News & Announcements
Ο Υπουργός Παιδείας απένειμε το Βραβείο Νίκη 2013 στον Καθ. Σταμάτη Κριμιζή
Ο Υπουργός Παιδείας και Θρησκευμάτων κ. Κωνσταντίνος Αρβανιτόπουλος απένειμε το Βραβείο Νίκη 2013, που έχει καθιερώσει το ΑΙΤ από 2009, στον Καθηγητή αστροφυσικής Σταμάτη Κριμιζή, επίτιμο διευθυντή στον Τομέα Διαστήματος του Εργαστηρίου Εφαρμοσμένης Φυσικής του πανεπιστημίου Τζονς Χόπκινς των ΗΠΑ, στην εκδήλωση που πραγματοποιήθηκε στο ξενοδοχείο Μεγάλη Βρετανία, την Κυριακή 8 Δεκεμβρίου.
The top-rated EU research project SOFI contributed to the reinforcement of European industry strengths in the area of disruptive photonic technologies for optical telecommunication networks
The top-rated EU-funded FP7 project SOFI (Silicon-Organic hybrid Fabrication platform for Integrated circuits) has recently completed its activities and reached all of its ambitious objectives.
2013 Niki Award Honoree Lecture with Dr. Stamatios Krimigis
The AIT Alumni Club in collaboration with the Hellenic Alumni Associations of Columbia University, University of Illinois and London School of Economics and Political Science proudly present a reception and talk with Dr. Stamatios Krimigis, Head Emeritus and Principal Staff at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory and winner of the Niki Award 2013.
Best student paper award at 13th IEEE International Conference on BioInformatics and BioEngineering
ΑΙΤ PhD student, Ghafoor Shah won a best student paper award at the 13th IEEE International Conference on BioInformatics and BioEngineering (BIBE 2013) that took place in Chania, Crete, Greece this week (http://medlab.cc.uoi.gr/bibe2013/).
New book by AIT authors on the topic of parasitic antenna arrays for MIMO communication
New book by AIT Professors Dr. C. Papadias and Dr. A. Kallis, titled "Parasitic Antenna Arrays for Wireless MIMO Systems” and published by Springer.